On October 15, 2015, I bought a Toshiba Satellite Radius 11 L1. In July 2016, I was working on my computer when it indicated the battery was low.

I plugged in the power cord and continued working, yet the computer died. Troubleshooting did not work and nothing would bring it back up. I looked on the internet and found that this is a prevalent issue with this make and model. I contacted Toshiba support and was advised that I needed to send my computer (which was less than a year old) to their service center to replace the battery.

This model was not engineered to allow the customer to easily replace the battery, and if a customer does try to replace the battery, that voids the warranty. (Obviously, Toshiba is not very customer-oriented or user friendly.) When I talked with Toshiba's help center in July 2016, they wanted me to pay the shipping both ways (over $40.00). After several spirited conversations, they begrudgingly agreed that since my computer was under warranty and less than a year old, they would pay for the shipping. (Again, what company that cares about the customer experience does treats customers this way?) Since the battery had to be removed and replaced, I lost all work that was saved on the computer.

On October 7, 2017, the same thing that happened in July 2016! As you will note, on October 7, 2017, my computer was not even two years old! I contacted Toshiba's help desk and spoke with Andy. The call is noted as Case No.

7877257. He told me that I had to call back on Monday, his supervisor refused to speak with me, and when I asked for Toshiba's corporate headquarter's phone number, he told me he could not give it to me! I am thinking that Toshiba should be very candid and let us know that we are calling their "helpless" desk. I asked for a copy of the notes he was typing as I want to ensure that they are accurate.

I asked for a copy of the recording and was told I could not have it. My concerns are three fold: 1) Consumers should be given a copy of whatever is being typed/recorded about us when we contact an organization. I was sitting next to one of my co-workers who called another company's "helpless" desk and could overhear his conversation. After he repeatedly tried to explain his issue to someone who was not getting it, he calmly asked if he should come in there, which resulted in him having to then explain that he was not "threatening" the person, he was trying to work with the person and thought that if he could come in and show what was going on, that might be helpful.

We consumers should not have to be at the mercy of someone who types non-objective notes into a database in which we cannot dispute the accuracy of the details. 2) Battery failure is a known issue with this model and Toshiba is giving customers a hard time when we ask that they make it right. Note: After I contacted Toshiba on October 7, 2017, I searched the internet and found that there was a battery recall for this model. To this date, I have never been informed by Toshiba of this recall.

Here is the link: https://batterycheck.toshiba.com/?region=TAIS&country=US&lang=en 3) Toshiba is not being honest with consumers about this product as they need to tell customers upfront that the product has fatal flaws AND that their "customer service" is a nightmare. I shake my head. I have had HP’s and Dell’s. In fact, I had to go back to my 10 year old trusty HP to type this message.

Toshiba should be held accountable for this known fatal flaw as well as the horrible customer experiences they are creating via their terrible customer service.

Further, after sharing my experience with others about Toshiba, I am hearing the same thing about horrible customer experience, poor product, etc. Unless you have the money to buy a new laptop every year or every couple of years, beware of Toshiba.

Review about: Toshiba Laptop.

Comments