1.9K views

I have had a Toshiba DLP TV Model#65hm167 for a little over three years.I have already replaced lamp ($150) and now I have about 125 little white dots all over the screen and they are growing.

I called Toshiba and they basically said that I had a problem with pixelation. The service rep then told me that since TV is out of warranty I had to call a servive technician, and gave me his phone number. I did that and he charges $89.99 to come and check out the problem and give me an estimate on fixing it. I have read all over internet people having similar issues and stating that it will cost up to $800 to fix.

I have had TVs last for 15+ years. This is BS. I have had other Toshiba products and have also had issues. Morale of the story beware before you buy Toshiba products.

It may be cheaper in the short term but you will have problems later.

Review about: Toshiba Tv.

Had an Experience with Toshiba?

Comments

El Monte, California, United States #949904

I spent $2,000 USD on this TV, and now I have this manufacturing defect.

I called Toshiba on three different occasions, and just got outsourced to people whom didn't care.

They gave me three numbers to call for authorized repair centers.

All three repair centers acknowledged the ongoing issue. One of the companies confirmed that Mistubishi and Samsung also had this issue. However, Samsung was offering to repair the issue free of cost, and Mistubishi would pay half of the repair cost. Toshiba will not even acknowlege the issue.

One of the companies cofirmed they are no longer dealing with Toshiba repairs due to poor customer service. All three companies said they would fix it themselves, but at a cost of 500 (on average).

I'm not spending another 500 on a chip due to their manufacturing defect.

If anyone is aware of any phone numbers I can call that I can talk to someone who can actually resolve this issue, please let me know. If you know of any class action lawsuit, please contact me.

I would love to help in any way to force Toshiba to be held accountable for their actions.My email address is SRVIVER104@AOL.COM

Brecksville, Ohio, United States #600780

So I also have this TV but a bit different issue. Out of nowhere the TV now only turns on, the screen turns white for about 15 seconds then the tv shuts off, it will repeat this, by itself, until i unplug it. Can anyone help??

Rickj
Long Beach, California, United States #591567

I had this lemon of a tv and fixed it a month after purchasing it only to have it go down 2 more times in a matter of 2 years. HORRIBLE product, I vow never to purchase anything from Toshiba ever again and tell friends of their poor service. :(

cadietz
Heber Springs, Arkansas, United States #591352

I should start by saying that the information in this post is regarding a problem with my Toshiba 65HM167 over a year ago, but I was able to fix it and, for what it's worth, here's the sequence:

The 'white spot' problem on the Toshiba 65HM167 TV is caused by a faulty optical block processor or 'light engine' in the TV. It must be replaced for the problem to go away.

The bad news is that the optical block processor is expensive and, since DLP TV's aren't manufactured anymore, they are somehwat hard to find. I found one at www.encompassparts.com for $647 of which $220 is a core charge that is refunded when you return the old light engine back to Encompass Parts. So the out of pocket is around $430 with shipping. The Toshiba part number for the light engine is 75006693. Encompass was very easy to work with; the core charge was promply refunded by Encompass when I sent the old core back.

The good news is that you can make the installation yourself. It's a little complicated but with patience and a careful labeling of all wiring, you can make the switch. I did it and my TV now works better than ever (no spots and a much better picture). Get a service manual for the Toshiba 65HM167 at www.servicemanuals.net for $17 (download) and it will give step by step instructions for replacing the light engine. The replacement process took me about 2.5 hours.

Is it worth it? I think so because I love the size of this TV and to replace it with a comparable...

to cadietz Brecksville, Ohio, United States #600819

rograham1
Bernardsville, New Jersey, United States #591312

Four years after purchase.First only 3 white spots then 30 over a couple of weeks.

Caused by stuck mirrors on DLP chip. Observed YouTube videos (3) from hdtvexpert77. Ordered chip on ebay. Just needed flat and Phillips screwdrivers.

Two hours of cautious repairs.Spots are gone Chip was less than $160.

I have the same white dot problem now. Does anyone's know how to even order the replacement chip? I'll join if there is a class action suit

I am a service tech and I can tell you this is a problem with the dlp chip.I have repaired several hundred of these on Samsung and Mitsubishi tvs.

This is a wide known defect with the dlp chip.

Samsung has been honoring all repairs for several years now (to avoid class action lawsuit) and all repairs were out of warranty as this defect does not happen until around the w.t year mark usually.Toshiba should repair these for free.

Sean_In_CA
to jordan Merced, California, United States #585219

Hi Folks, OK from reading all the comments, I gather replacing the Toshiba 75006693 DLP chip is the fix to go for if your having multiple white dots even though replacing the light engine will work as well.The DLP chip (Toshiba PN 75006693) is a component of the light engine that is flawed and that is the same Texas Instrument part that Samsung takes care of...

So here's my situation, after spending 800 for a new lamp and color wheel, I now have these spots that started and my tv guy wants to help and has the samsung dlp chips in stock (PN?

6318201 or 020607).So my question is are these DLP chips interchangeable?

Sean_In_CA
to jordan Merced, California, United States #585220

6318201 or 020607).So my question is are these DLP chips interchangeable?